Friday, January 31, 2014

Polignano by Night

A few days ago I posted pictures of the picturesque village of Polignano.  It lies just a short ten miles south of us and has captured my heart.  Good things have happened with every visit.

While we had Londoners, we made the trip at night.  Having noticed quite a few night lighting appliances along the cliff, we anticipated more good scenery.

Polignano hasn't disappointed us yet!
A stone walkway and steps lend a spectacular view of the bridge.






As we reach the bottom, the night time scenes to our left and right captivate us.



On the main street through Polignano, this duomo watches guard over the piazza.  We follow along parallel to the sea until we find an overlook.




From the overlook, we look down to see the window where we had just had dinner.  You will note that our table has already been filled - it's the best in the house, but too dark for pictures.

This is the restaurant that I noted before, called Fly.
Remember?  Domenico Modugno, Volaré?
We were delighted that it was open during the winter and everyone followed as I trotted straight for the door!




And just as delighted to meet the owner - Andrea, who attended law school but then decided that she'd rather work twice as hard for half the money in this little ristorante. During the summer they serve their rowdy, American guests until 4 am.
She spoke good English.  What a vivacious person.
We told her to surprise us with food and she did not let us down.

I love her logo and the color.  
And her!




Andrea graciously - and enthusiastically - gave us a tour.  Through the side door we came into a grotto area that the help uses for a break room.  And there is the blue locker.

Everyone smiled and enjoyed themselves.
The one on the right is a great dancer - she moved through the playing of Volaré with nimble steps.  I thought I had videoed it to share with you.
Alas, the red square means that it's stopped, not running.  Or vice versa.  I got lots of footage of the floor, ceiling and odd bits, but none of the fancy footwork.




Having a few grotti right out your back door provides great storage areas!



This was also the night that everyone shuddered as I walked into a dark alley feeling place because I saw interesting lights.
We hadn't anticipated meeting the reknowned artist,
Peppino Campanella.
But he's worth another blog.
Fascinating, cordial, open hearted - and talented.
And humble.  We only got his first name and a business card out of him.  It was pretty clear that this man was not just another starving artist as I admired his work.
I came home and googled him.  How right I was.
Definitely worth another visit and blog.

Did I say that Polignano never disappoints?!

3 comments:

  1. What a memorable evening!! You are having quite the time of your life!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do make me wish I could be along!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I'm surprised that it photographed so well at night. Fly looks like a lovely place - with a fun owner. Neat that you got to meet her. And I can't wait to hear about the artist!

    ReplyDelete