Friday, January 17, 2014

The Supermercati

Today I will continue just past the church and we'll take a right at the piazza.  We have arrived at the grocery store!  This is our closest general grocer.  We have to travel about 20 minutes into Bari to go to a larger one.  It's quite an experience there as well.  One day we'll go there.

But today here we are:



Here is the only employee that speaks Inglese.  Well, he really doesn't speak English but he has the rest of the employees convinced that he does so they always go find him when they can't understand what I'm asking for!  He's very kind and helpful.  









I think it's because he gestures more wildly than the other softer spoken ones, so they think he's getting his point across to me?









It seems that we are supposed to be weighing our produce and printing out a sticker with a price.  I can't figure it out.  The young lady does it for me, but yesterday the man just waved my pear around and signaled for me not to worry about it.  I forgot to check to see if I paid for it and how much.  The pera are fresh and delicious!  So are the oranges.






Milk is fairly expensive and as you can see there's not a great selection.



 On the other hand, a very good selection and great prices await us in this department.  You can read the prices at the bottom of the photo.  


There are  more sausages and cheeses than I could ever learn or remember the names.






These are strips of proscuitto rolled around cheese and bulk sausage.  Bake them and yum, yum!







If you'd like to have a cheeseburger, you would buy your cheese with meat according to the tag.






Lots of cookies - biscuits and biscotti, named because they taste like a biscuit.  Not what I have in mind when I want a cookie!



But if you're considering making a cookie, it will take some rethinking.  See those little green boxes on the left, bottom shelf?  They contain 2 vials of vanilla - each about a teaspoon.  The clear boxes below them contain 3 packets of what I hope is baking powder, probably a short tablespoon in each packet.

Three shelves up are the boxes of chocolate for hot chocolate. Nothing like European hot chocolate with a croissant for breakfast.

Zucchero is sugar and that's the largest box of it I've seen, about a couple of pounds.

That's the extent of the baking aisle!  Pretty much sums up our little neighborhood grocery store.


4 comments:

  1. You seem to be doing a good job of learning Italiano. After 2 months of immersion you should be fluent. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How on earth do you get what you need or want?? Sounds like a bit of a challenge! Glad you are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, sometimes you get it and sometimes you don't! It's amazing how universal sign language works. Baking powder has been the hardest one as they just don't bake here.

      Delete
  3. Had I known you were going to Italia, I would have suggested that you take a few boxes of Reese's Peanut Butter cups along for trading stock! Pamela had never seen them in Italy, but she loved them! She thought they were even better than European chocolate!

    ReplyDelete