Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Doors

I could write a book about doors.
Front doors give the first impression of what lies beyond.
It very simply describes who we are.
Think about your front door.
What does it say about you?
My blank slab doors that follow me from house to house 
relate plain and solid, don't expect frills here.
The paint must have substantial hue to it because 
life has so much color to offer.  
I had a large hole cut into the current one to allow
more light to enter.  Maybe that speaks too?

Many books attest that I'm not alone with my
door fascination.
But I have personally witnessed these doors,
they have spoken to me.
And so I add to the pile of door pictures!

This first one is a gate, a teaser to the artist that I've promised to tell you more about some time.
Doesn't it declare plainly that art lies within?
I took it at night - it's always open during the day.
The construction is rusted metal, beautifully made by Peppino's artistic friend.




Lace and a well-maintained hedge offer
an elegant invitation.




Quite the opposite here.
This makes quite a final statement.
It might be called 'Death's Door'?




The whimsy and charm of this one make me want to knock!
Vibrant color, organic shapes, a touch of gold.
I daresay that this casa has a cheerful occupant.




Laura gives you an idea of this door's height!
Gnomes, elves?
It did look like you take an immediate downward 
step upon entering.
Might want to bend a bit too!









In spite of the door's stature, 
it boasts a pretty,
 dainty knocker
 complete with wedding ring.








A lot of hierarchy,
well placed plants,
boldly declared name and address
lead to an understated door at this home.




Double doors with metal fanwork, 
sturdy stonework above.
Am I led to believe it's the door or the occupant
that's important?




Oh, the ugliness of bureaucracy.
Thought went into maintaining the ancient stonework when the 
rest of the building got its facelift.
I love that the ironwork blends with the stonework
but adds a layer of depth and texture to its welcome.




Is this overstatement or hypocrisy at its best?
A standard door provides entrance through 
what appears to be a massive door.



The picture can hardly give the perspective of the size of the
keyhole, proportionate to the mass of the overall door.  The little dot above it is the regular keyhole that does the work!
It would take a small wheelbarrow to carry the key
made for the original lock work.


At the end of the day, would we all agree that the most important door in our lives is that one that the key in our hand opens?
The key may change according to where the globe finds me, but the sound and feel of that key holds the promise of respite and home.
Mahogany has always held a favorite spot in my heart.
How appropriately this beautiful door opens to my key at each
return to Via Volpe 11.



4 comments:

  1. Neat doors - thanks for the door tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the doors in Europe! And the ones that intrigued me the most were those with the handle in the middle of the door… like yours!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to meet the people behind the green door. They must be a lively bunch. I wonder if once upon a time the massive door was all door and in the last few decades, century, it got a make over, the owner wanting a smaller, easier to open, door.

    ReplyDelete